Background

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Choosing a Profile

I was hesitant to right this blog just yet, mainly for fear of disappointment, but then I realized that the whole point of this blog was to document my journey. The good, and the bad.

On Friday, June 15th, I received my very first IP profile. At that point, it had been 8 days since I got an email about my medical clearance.

The Monday before, I got a telephone message saying they had a profile in mind for me, but wanted to make sure everything was going to work out, legally, before sending it on to me.

The very first thing that came to mind, was a same-sex couple. I was really excited by the prospect. Then another surrogate, who went through the same Agency, told me that same-sex was a definate no-go with surros in Utah. (at least through our agency).

Next to mind, was an international couple. The idea was neat, but there was some worry about the language barrier. I hadn't thought of that until my husband said "are we going to even be able to talk to them?" Oops. good point, there.

So on Friday, I opened up the email and the attachments; "IP Questionaire- "last name", then "last name"Profile" I couldn't for sure judge where they were from with their last name. So then I opened it up.

I read the questionnaire first, it said their first names, ages and location. They were actually a US couple. I was not expecting that at all. It really, truly, didn't even cross my mind that it was a possibility. I was at work, and too anxious to wait to read it at home. I spend the next hour or so half working, and half reading my profile. I'd minimize, read a few lines, then go back to whatever I was actually supposed to be doing.

I formed my opinion, and when work was finished, took the papers home to my husband. I refused to tell him what I thought, I wanted to hear his own first. He read through, asked me what different things meant, and then said "Well, I think we should send them our profile! You?"

We agreed.

I emailed the agency back right away, hoping someone would still be in the office. Apparantly not, as I didn't get a message until Tuesday the 19th saying that they would forward my profile to them. Here's hoping.

I really don't know what my reaction will be if they turn me down. Part of me would be glad, it's better now than to spend the next almost year in contact with someone who didn't care for us, at the same time.... I think I might be slightly....put off. Why wasn't I good enough?

So, I was told they had 2-3 days to respond to the profile with either a yea or nay. This is day two..... let's see what happens....




No comments:

Post a Comment