Background

Friday, September 5, 2014

Freezer Meals; Round Two (16 meals for 155.71)

The first set of freezer meals I did were a big hit at the house. For me especially, as it allowed me to do other things than cook every night. Every aftenoon I'd plop the food into the crockpot and at dinner time serve it up. Job done!

I really REALLY cannot say how much I love the freezer meal idea and I wish I would have found it sooner!

I didn't take pictures this time! OOPs! I did video the bags and the freezer afterwards in a  quick  video. You can watch it here after 5pm mountain time tomorrow (9/6).

Here's the break down. I spent 155.71 (pre-tax) on all the ingredients for these meals, plus the sides I would serve on some of them. I made SIXTEEN (16) meals from those ingredients. That equals about $9.73 per dinner meal. The price could have been lower, but I used one more expensive recipe, twice. (French dip recipe you'll see later). Each of these took a 3lb roast which were 18.00 and 15.00. If I omitted those and doubled some of the other recipe, I would have probably gotten down to 5-6 dollars a meal!

along with some of the ones from last time, I tried some more recipes from this blog.

The new ones I did were...
 
Southwestern 2 Bean Chicken
·      4 chicken breasts
·      1 15 oz. can pinto beans
·      1 15 oz. can black beans
·      1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
·      1 lb. frozen corn
·      1 12 oz. jar of salsa
Cook on low for 5-7 hours.
Split ingredients into two bags (yay for 2 meals!)
I also "oopsed" and forgot the black beans, so I'll have to add them in later.

Teriyaki Chicken
·      6-8 boneless chicken breasts
·      1 cup teriyaki sauce
·      1 cup water
·      2/3 cup brown sugar
·      3 cloves of garlic
Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
Split ingredients into three bags (yay for 3 meals!)
Sweet BBQ Chicken
·      4-6 chicken breasts
·      12 oz. bottle of BBQ sauce
·      ½ cup brown sugar
·      ¼ cup vinegar
·      1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
·      1 tsp. garlic powder
Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
Split ingredients into three bags (yay for 3 meals!)
Lasagna Soup
·      1 lb. ground turkey
·      1 onion
·      1 bell pepper
·      3 cloves garlic
·      32 oz. chicken broth
·      2 tbs. seasoning combination (basil, oregano, crushed red peppers)
·      1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours. Thirty minutes before done add dry pasta (2 cups) and garnish with Parmesan cheese.
Only got one meal out of this one, but there will probably be a bowl or two for left overs the next day. 
Super Food Rotini
·      1 ½ lbs. lean ground turkey
·      1 tbs. olive oil
·      2 medium zucchini
·      2 medium carrots
·      1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
·      1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
·      ½ lb. whole wheat rotini
·      1 tbs. onion powder
·      1 tbs. garlic powder
·      1 tbs. cumin
·      2 cups raw spinach
Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Thirty minutes before done add ½ lb of rotini noodles and top with Parmesan cheese.
Split ingredients into two bags (yay for 2 meals!) I used extra ground turkey ad did a pound a bag and it was a little too much meat for us. I think we might try this meat-less next time.

I saw another recipe on another site (oops don't remember which one).
This used the two roasts I mentioned above (did this recipe 2x for a total of 2 meals). So remember to double all these items on you shopping list if you want to as well!

French Dip Sandwiches
3 lb roast
2 cans of beef consomme
1 onion
Cook in slow cooker for 6-8 hours on low, 4-6 hours on high (until roast is able to be pull apart)
Serve on Hoagie Buns!

Enjoy! If you have freezer meal recipes you love, share them in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment